When it comes to tablets and phones, you have your choice of the Google Android operating system and the Apple iOS operating system. iOS is great if you want something that’s simple to use and doesn’t require any messing around to function, but Android tablets are the only way to go if you want a fully customizable device.
Since these tablets make up a large portion of the tablets on the marketplace, it can be hard to sift through them to find the right one. We put together this best Google tablet list to help you find the right device for your needs, whether it’s a Google Nexus tablet or some other brand.
Google Tablet FAQ
Does Google make tablets?
Google tablets can refer to one of two things: the Google Nexus line of tablets made by Google, or any number of tablets that use the Google Android operating system. For this list, we’re going to include a couple of Google Nexus tablets as well as some Android tablets from other brands.
What are the benefits of a Google tablet?
While tablets with iOS are designed to work right out of the box, they don’t allow you to customize much. An Android tablet, on the other hand, allows you to customize a lot more because the Android operating system is made by Google and not by the companies who are manufacturing Android tablets.
Who makes good Google tablets?
Some of the best Google tablets you can find are from top brands that make good gadgets in general, including brands like Acer, ASUS, Samsung and more. As long as you take a close look at the features, specs and reviews of a tablet, you should be able to get a good idea of its quality before you buy.
Are Google tablets cheaper?
While there are definitely a lot of Google tablets you can buy for a lot less than an iPad, they aren’t all inexpensive tablets. Some Google tablets, such as the best tablets that Samsung makes, are pretty expensive and offer a lot of specs and features that are comparable to the iPad.
How We Reviewed
Choosing the right tablet can be tough work, which is exactly why we put this best Google tablet list together for you in the first place. However, this list wouldn’t be of much use to you if we simply haphazardly slapped it together without concern for the facts, so we looked at every aspect of each tablet on our list to make sure it meets our standards. As long as you choose one of the tablets from our list, you can be confident that you’re investing in one of, if not the best, Google tablet.
As far as what we look for in Google tablets, there are a lot of different factors. Display size and storage capacity are two of the most important specs since these are some of the first things you’ll notice. After that, we look at the processing power of a tablet, which means its RAM and processor. We also look at the camera design, overall build quality and design of each tablet to make sure it checks every box.
Overall Price Range
Google tablets vary a lot in price. Some of the cheapest Google tablets you can buy will cost you as little as $50, while the most expensive models can cost hundreds. This all depends on the brand you choose, the size of the tablet you buy, and the storage capacity you opt for.
Buying a more expensive tablet will provide improvements in nearly every area. A more expensive tablet will generally offer more processing power, a larger storage capacity, potential for more expandable storage, a better camera and more. Basically, you’re getting an upgrade in every sense of the word when you spend more money on a tablet — as long as you’re buying smartly.
Top 10 Google Tablets
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 is about as expensive and feature-filled a Google tablet as you’ll find. Thankfully, it’s got the design and build quality to justify its price.
- Includes the Samsung S Pen Stylus; Expandable memory up to 400GB; Processor Speed: Quad Core(2.15 GHz + 1.6 GHz Quad)
- Featuring High Dynamic Range on a Super AMOLED display, the Galaxy Tab S3 delivers cinematic vividness, detail and deep contrast to a screen that fits in your hands
- Our revolutionary S Pen is more precise and pressure-responsive than ever, and never needs to be charged, liberating you to create, translate, and navigate without limits
- Powerful Quad speakers, tuned by AKG, calibrate with your movements as you rotate the Galaxy Tab S3, and intuitively reflect what’s playing on-screen
- Easily switch from touch to type with a feather-light keyboard that auto-pairs, attaches on contact and never needs charging (keyboard sold separately)
- Where To Buy
Although it may be a bit outdated, the 2013 version of the Google Nexus 7 is still one of the best ways to get the full functionality of an Android tablet.
- 7-inch tablet screen, 1200x1920 (323 ppi), LED-backlit IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Powerful 3950 mAh battery, 10 hours, 15Wh Li-polymer Battery
- Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro 8064 Quad-Core, 1.5 GHz
- Memory: 2GB, 1.2 MP Front Camera, 5 MP Rear Camera, Auto focus (rear), Large f2.4 aperture. (rear camera)
- Where To Buy
The Amazon Fire HD 10, a decent tablet for reading, is Amazon’s largest tablet and one of the best values on our list, but its design does leave a little bit to be desired.
- Brilliant 10.1" 1080p Full HD display (1920 x 1200), up to 1.8 GHZ quad-core processor, 2 GB RAM, and up to 10 hours of battery life.
- Our largest display, now with over 2 million pixels, stereo speakers, Dolby Audio, and dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi—perfect for watching Full HD video, playing games, reading magazines, and streaming content seamlessly
- Use Alexa hands-free mode to pause videos, play music, open apps, show sports scores, display the weather, and more—just ask
- Call or message almost anyone hands-free, or make video calls to family and friends with a Fire tablet, Echo Spot, Echo Show, or the Alexa App. Instantly connect to enabled Echo devices.
- 32 or 64 GB internal storage expandable by up to 256 GB (using the microSD slot). Watch downloaded videos anywhere with a Prime membership, Netflix plan, or Showtime subscription.
- Where To Buy
Lenovo’s Yoga Book is actually more of a laptop than a tablet, but it’s a 2-in-1 so you can convert it from one device to the other in seconds.
- THINNEST AND LIGHTEST: At less than 2 lbs, it's the world's thinnest and lightest 2-in-1 windows tablet *Based on Lenovo’s internal analysis as of 8/18/16 of 10.1” or greater 2-in-1 computers (sold with keyboard)
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: This portable computer has a 64GB SDD hard drive and 4 GB LP DDR3 of RAM, plus an epic 13 hour battery life on one charge
- PRODUCTIVITY: Instantly digitize your notes with the Real Pen stylus or transform your device into a notebook computer with the Halo keyboard that appears only when needed
- THEATER-LIKE MULTIMEDIA: This 10 inch tablet has a Full High Definition crystal-clear touchscreen display plus built-in dual speakers perfect for binge-watching TV and movies on-the-go
- ENDLESS OPTIONS: Do more with one notebook - type, take notes, browse the web, even draw
- Where To Buy
You may not be too familiar with the Huawei brand, but the Huawei MediaPad M5 is one of the best Android tablets you can buy in terms of performance and design.
- 【2.5D Glass Display】Curved-edge 2.5D curved glass is now available on M5 tablet. You will never worry about missing a detail with M5's 359 PPI (2560 x 1600)2K high-res display. The 82% screen-to-body ratio means you can enjoy a wider view than before
- 【Excellent Sound】Dual stereo speakers tuned and certified by Harman/Kardon provide a paramount audio and video experience, as well as support HiFi headphones.The HUAWEI Histen audio creates a perfect sounds cape to give you 3D sound that is richer, more layered and penetrating
- 【Pure. Simple. Stylish】MediaPad M5's curved metal body creates an elegant and beautiful industrial design that is remarkable for its simplicity. M5 tablet that boasts a proprietary Kirin 960 series octa-core chipset and stable Wi-Fi network connectivity. F2.2 & 13 MP Rear camera；F2.2 & 8 MP Front camera. 4G RAM + 64G ROM
- 【Quick Charge】It takes only 1.9 hrs to get M5 fully charged. Its 5100 mAh (TYP) battery and Smart Power-Saving technology allow you to enjoy 1080P videos to 11 hours.(Depending on the using environment, such as screen brightness)
- 【Smart UI】EMUI 8.0 (Based on Android 8.0), Advanced fingerprint recognition
- Where To Buy
Xiaomi is another tablet and phone manufacturer that’s growing in popularity, and the Xiaomi MiPad 3 is one of the best replacements for the iPad Mini.
- Compatible for Xiaomi MiPad 3 MT8176 MIUI 8 7.9-inch Tablet
- Originally designed. Outer : hard PU / Inner : Microfiber / Parts to hold the device : PC
- Magnets to open and close
- Easy access to all buttons, camera and connector. Allows charging without removing the case
- Stand function by using back side flip
- Where To Buy
The Google Nexus 9 was the only Google tablet made by HTC, and the result was arguably the best tablet in the Google Nexus lineup — and also the newest.
- Android 5.0 Lollipop; 8.9-Inch IPS LCD TFT Display; QXGA (2048x1536)
- NVIDIA Tegra K1 2.3 GHz x64 Processor
- 16 GB Flash Memory, 2 GB RAM Memory
- 1.6MP Front Camera; 8MP Rear Camera
- 0.96 pounds; 802.11ac WiFi; 2x2 (MIMO)
- Where To Buy
Just like the Yoga Book, the Google Pixelbook gives you a nice hybrid between a laptop and tablet. However, there are some signature Google twists that make it even better.
- Meet google pixel book, the high performance chromebook; it’s the first laptop with the google assistant built in; press the google assistant key on your keyboard or say "Ok google" to get started; the google assistant is always ready to help
- Features 7th gen intel core i5 processor, 8gb ram and 128gb for storage; the long lasting battery delivers up to 10 hours of use and it’s fast charging so you can get 2 hours of use in 15 minutes
- The 4 in 1 design adapts to whatever you’re doing with laptop, tablet, tent and entertainment modes; ACcess to favorite apps including google drive, Gmail, YouTube, Evernote, slACk, infinite painter, light room, rob lox and many more
- Pixel book's super thin and lightweight design measures 10.3 millimeter and weighs 2.45 pounds; features a 12.3 inch 360 degree touchscreen display, a sleek aluminum body, corning gorilla glass and a bACk lit keyboard
- Powered by chrome os with automatic software updates so you’ll always have the latest virus protection; it starts up in less than 10 secs, stays fast throughout the day, and won’t slow down over time
- Where To Buy
The ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 is a super-light, super-portable tablet that looks and performs great. On top of that, you won’t have to spend a fortune on it.
- 9.7" 2K IPS Display (2048 x 1536) with ASUS TruVivid technology for better visual experience and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 cover glass for tougher and more damage resistant protection.
- Powerful dual Core ARM Cortex 2.1 GHz combined with quad Core ARM Cortex 1.7 GHz, 64 bit MediaTek processor.
- Easily handle games and speed up productivity with super-fast hexa-core processor, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage and IMG GX6250 graphics.
- 8M/5M Dual Camera; 1 x microSD Card slot, support up to 128GB SDXC
- Fast and accurate fingerprint sensor is the perfect blend of strong security and incredible convenience. Android 6.0 OS. Interfaces: 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in), Micro SD (SDXC)/ Max.128GB, Type C.Display: 400 nits
- Where To Buy
Designed for rugged, demanding business use, the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active2 has a tough design that can stand up to just about anything, making it the perfect travel device.
- RUGGED RELIABILITY-Heavy-duty tech that gets the job done. Built-in features include an accelerometer, gyroscope, GPS and geomagnetic sensor. Note: for all Wi-Fi models, GPS technology will only activate when connected to a Wi-Fi network
- MILITARY-GRADE DURABILITY — MIL-STD-810G Certified and tested for drops, shocks, vibration, rain, dirt, mud, sand, water, altitude, freeze & thaw, temperature range, temperature shock, and humidity
- LONG-LASTING BATTERY — Lasts up to 11 hours on a single charge with an easy-to-replace battery and quickly charges through the built-in POGO pin
- WATER-RESISTANT TOUCHSCREEN — Wet touch mode is fully functional regardless of water and rain, White glove mode is perfect for cold weather or clinical environments. Can withstand being submerged in water for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 5 feet of water
- ADAPTABLE S PEN — IP68-Certified Samsung S Pen gives you the precision you need to write or tap no matter the conditions
- Where To Buy
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
Samsung provides a one-year warranty on this tablet.
Google Nexus 7 (2013)
This tablet has a one-year warranty.
Amazon Fire HD 10
This tablet comes with a one-year limited warranty from Amazon.
Lenovo Yoga Book
You’ll have to write to Lenovo to get warranty information for this product.
Huawei MediaPad M5
Huawei doesn’t provide warranty information on the MediaPad M5.
Xiaomi MiPad 3
Xiaomi provides a one-year warranty on this tablet.
Google Nexus 9
Google provides a one-year warranty through HTC for this tablet.
Google Pixelbook 128 GB
The Pixelbook comes with a one-year warranty from the purchase date.
ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 (Z500M)
The warranty period on this product varies based on location—check the sticker on your tablet for exact details.
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active2
Despite this being a rugged business tablet, it only comes with a one-year warranty.
You can’t go wrong with any of these tablets, but they obviously have some major differences that you should look at before making your decision. Finding a tablet that’s in your price range and offers the features that are essential to you will get you a pretty good tablet every time.
If you have a lot to spend, the Pixelbook, Yoga Book and Galaxy Tab S3 are all great. If you’re on a smaller budget but still want something that gives you ample power and usability, the Fire HD 10 and Google Nexus 7 (2013) are both solid choices. At the end of the day, the best Google tablet for you comes down to what you need.