Users who prefer to run Linux should consider an Ubuntu tablet. The BQ Aquaris M10 is the only device that ships with Ubuntu. We rank this model in addition to other tablets and convertible tablet-laptop devices capable of running Ubuntu.
What is an Ubuntu tablet?
Ubuntu tablets are capable of running the Ubuntu Linux distribution.
What do Ubuntu tablets do?
Ubuntu is an open-source alternative to major operating systems.
How do Ubuntu tablets work?
Independent developers fine-tune touch support for tablet and convertible devices that run Linux.
Where can you buy an Ubuntu tablet?
Purchase a pre-loaded tablet from BQ or an authorized seller. You can also purchase certain Android or Windows tablets and install Ubuntu.
How We Reviewed
The top tablets in our ranking have Ubuntu pre-installed or communities of developers and users to support installations. Other tablets on this list are capable of running this distribution.
Top 9 Ubuntu Tablets
The BQ M10 FHD is the only tablet with Ubuntu pre-installed. This European tablet is powered by a 1.3GHz MediaTek quad-core MT8163 with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage space. The M10 features a Micro-HDMI, micro-USB OTG, MicroSD, and 3.5mm headphone jack. This tablet is also capable of being converted into a portable PC.
- Dual-core A15 processor
- 2GB of system memory and 32GB on-board storage memory, Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) OS
- 10.55" touchscreen, 2560 x 1600 resolution
- Built-in 802.11b/g/n WiFi and Bluetooth
- Back 5MP webcam and front 1.9MP webcam
The Nexus 10 has a 10.1" screen and runs on a dual-core A15 processor with either 16GB or 32GB of storage and 2GB of memory. This slightly older Android tablet manufactured by Samsung was slated to support Ubuntu Touch and is now supported as a legacy device by UBports and the larger Ubuntu developer community.
- Processor: Intel Core i5 Processor.
- Memory: 4GB RAM.
- Storage Capacity: 128GB SSD.
- Display: 12.3-inch PixelSense Screen.
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro.
The Microsoft Surface Pro is available with many options, including an Intel m3, i5, or i7 processor with 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB of RAM and a hard drive between 128GB and 1TB. Users report that the Surface Pro works with Ubuntu, and a developer community comes up with fixes for known issues.
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with...
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert...
- With the Google Play Store, you can access a rich library of apps, games, music, movies, TV, books, magazines, and more,...
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google...
- Intel Celeron N3150, 11.6 inch HD Touch Display, 4GB Memory, 32GB eMMC, Up to 10-hour Battery Life, Convertible Laptop;...
This 11.6" Chromebook is an affordable convertible option with a 1.6GHz Intel Celeron N3150 dual-core processor with 4GB of RAM and 32GB of eMMC flash memory. This model comes with Google Chrome OS and can sustain up to 10 hours of battery life. Regardless of the operating system, Chromebooks are designed for surfing the web.
- 11.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) LED-Backlit Touchscreen Display; HD Webcam, Intel HD Graphics
- Intel Pentium Quad Core N3710 Processor 1.6GHz Up to 2.56Ghz
- 4GB DDR3L-1600 RAM, 128GB SSD; No Optical Drive
- Waves MaxxAudio, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n; Bluetooth 4.0; microSD Card Reader; 1 USB 3.0; 1 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI; 1...
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit; Only 3.07 lbs, Bali Blue
The Inspiron 2-in-1 convertible tablet and laptop has a 1.6GHz quad-core Intel Pentium N3710, 4 GB of Single Channel DDR3L RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive. An Ubuntu installation is available out of the box on some Dell models. Users still experience difficulties with limited touch functionality.
- 14 in Full HD IPS touchscreen (1920 x 1080), 10-finger multi-touch support, Integrated Intel HD Graphics 620, Backlit...
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Quad Core processor 1.6GHz (6M Cache, Max boost to 3.4GHz), Fingerprint reader
- 8GB DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM, 128GB Solid State Drive, No optical drive, Harman speakers with Dolby Home Theater Audio
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, 1 x USB Type-C, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI, Headphone output/Microphone input combo, 4-in-1...
- Windows 10, 3 Cell Lithium ion, Battery with up to 10 hours of battery life, Lenovo Active Pen included , Weight: 3.74...
The Lenovo Flex 5 is a 14" convertible tablet and laptop that runs on an Intel Core i5-8250 processor with 8GB DDR4 RAM. The Flex 5 ships with Windows 10 pre-loaded, but a number of users have successfully installed Ubuntu as a dual-boot or replacement operating system.
- 12.5" ASUS TruVivid Display with IPS technology, 1920-by-1080 resolution. Corning Concore Glass.
- Support for ASUS Active Stylus Pen (256 pressure levels).
- Intel Core M Processor with 4M shared L3 cache, Turbo Boost up to 2.00 GHz. 4GB RAM.
- 128GB iSSD. Unlimited ASUS WebStorage (1 year free)
- Dual-band 802.11N Wifi for fast web browsing. Support for Miracast. Bluetooth 4.0.
The ASUS Transformer Book Chi is distinguished by its detachable design. This convertible tablet and laptop has an Intel Core M processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a micro-USB port. Connect a USB hub to load an Ubuntu disk image. Touch support is not guaranteed and you may need to work out driver and firmware issues.
- Includes the Samsung S Pen Stylus; Expandable memory up to 400GB; Processor Speed: Quad Core(2.15 GHz + 1.6 GHz Quad)
- Featuring High Dynamic Range on a Super AMOLED display, the Galaxy Tab S3 delivers cinematic vividness, detail and deep...
- Our revolutionary S Pen is more precise and pressure-responsive than ever, and never needs to be charged, liberating you...
- Powerful Quad speakers, tuned by AKG, calibrate with your movements as you rotate the Galaxy Tab S3, and intuitively...
- Easily switch from touch to type with a feather-light keyboard that auto-pairs, attaches on contact and never needs...
The Galaxy Tab S3 9.7" runs on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor with 4GB of RAM. This model is several generations later than the Samsung-manufactured Nexus 10, but is also less Linux-friendly. The battery life ranges between 7 and 12 hours and may be significantly less when running Ubuntu.
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 Features a 7th generation Intel Dual Core i5 Processor, 256 GB of storage, 8 GB RAM, and up to...
- Includes an Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated GPU; Full size SDXC card reader
- The fastest Surface Book yet, with 2x more power. Aspect ratio: 3:2, contrast ratio: 1600:1
- Vibrant PixelSense Display: now available with an improved 13.5" touchscreen
- Four versatile modes of use and new USB C port
The Surface Book 2 is a customizable convertible tablet and laptop. Select a 13.5" or 15" screen, Intel i5 or i7 processor, a hard drive with 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB of storage space, and either 8GB or 16GB of LPDDR3 RAM. This model comes with a keyboard. Dual-boot this device or set up Ubuntu as the primary operating system.
Obtain maximum functionality straight out of the box by purchasing the BQ Aquaris M10 FHD Ubuntu Black. This model achieved a top ranking because of the native Linux operating system. Consider another Ubuntu tablet if you are willing to perform the installation.
Last update on 2021-07-24 at 16:01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API